« Strolling across Sweden
The other side of Europe »

Progress Bar Clock

Sun Jan 27, 2013 18:15 (UTC -8)

A few months ago, I was thinking about HTML5 and how it’s supposed to be the future of the web, what with all these application-in-a-browser website thingies that are supposed to spring up any day now. To that end, among the new tags that HTML5 provides to web developers is the progress bar, which helps websites blend in with whatever operating system you’re viewing them on without them having to reinvent the wheel in JavaScript.

I’ve also always had an interest in clocks and various ways to represent time, so I was wondering if there was a novel way to show the time and date with the new stuff in HTML5.

I did a token amount of research and didn’t find anything like this, so I snapped up the domain name and made it real: progressbarclock.com. It went live two weeks ago, and although I’m pretty sure no humans have visited it yet, I can’t know for sure because I’m not even keeping logs. It’s just for the lulz, as they say.

The HTML5 progress bar is still pretty new, and support is limited. If you’re not using the latest version of your browser, you probably won’t see anything. I didn’t realize until after publishing the site that Internet Explorer 10 hasn’t officially been released for Windows 7 yet… but that’s not the latest version of Windows either. Upgrade your stuff.

In other news, I finally got around to upgrading WordPress for the first time in, like, two years. I was also able to upgrade most of my plugins, which provide features like subscribing to posts and automatic tweets, but one plugin, Subscribe to Comments, hasn’t been updated since then, so I’m not sure if it still works. If anyone can recommend an alternative that’s being actively updated, I’d appreciate it.

Finally, a fascinating TED talk explaining how to watch light travel by shooting video at one trillion frames per second. With a real example! (Via Kottke)

8 comments

What plugin do you use to have people subscribe to posts? I can’t find a good one.

#1 by Peter Hurford: Sun Jan 27, 2013 19:00 (UTC -8)

I’ve been using Subscribe2 for a long time, and I’m happy with it.

#2 by Jordon Kalilich: Sun Jan 27, 2013 21:15 (UTC -8)

Great progress bar clock! Very cool.
I also really enjoyed that TED talk. Thanks for sharing.

#3 by Andy Rosenbaum: Mon Jan 28, 2013 00:15 (UTC -8)

Glad you like it!

#4 by Jordon Kalilich: Mon Jan 28, 2013 08:40 (UTC -8)

This is really cool! I wonder if you could get a similar effect using the oldschool marquee element by playing around with the width, scrollamount, and scrolldelay attributes.

#5 by Scott G: Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:07 (UTC -8)

Thanks, Scott. That’s probably possible, but I bet it would be a bit harder to do.

#6 by Jordon Kalilich: Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:21 (UTC -8)

Whenever I use Subscribe2 on my site and try to register an email address, I get referred to my form, saying “To manage your subscriptions, please login.” What’s that all about?

#7 by Peter Hurford: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:35 (UTC -8)

It sounds like you’re trying to use the public signup link to sign up other people while you’re logged in as the administrator. If that’s the case, you should add them directly through the WordPress dashboard.

#8 by Jordon Kalilich: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 (UTC -8)