« Tubin’
A grammatical interlude »

ZOMG XKCD

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 (UTC -5)

Screenshot from my WordPress homepage, showing links to this site. The first line reads, 'xkcd linked here, saying...'

I heart xkcd. It could quite possibly be the webcomic to end all webcomics. I have this comic taped to my door. But I can’t even remember how I found out about xkcd—probably between reading Slashdot comments and… adjusting my pocket protector or something. Snort. No, it was actually probably from my friends, a lot of whom read the comic. It’s also practically a requirement for being a computer science major.

Anyway, xkcd mastermind Randall Munroe criticized the Dvorak keyboard layout in a recent comic and linked to my very own The Dvorak Keyboard and You in a follow-up blag post. It’s so satisfying to see “xkcd linked here” on my Incoming Links (pictured above). This probably the best or most awesome publicity my site has ever gotten. So, when do the geeky girls start flocking to me?

Sheesh, I’m kidding.

I myself used to draw a lot of cartoons, some on paper, others on my computer. I drew stick figure comics with a friend. Weird superheroes too. I also had a whole series going that I did in MS Paint. No one has ever seen it. The characters were various flowers (with names like Flo Wer) and a rock. I don’t remember too much about it, except that one time they got abducted by aliens.

I have a few examples of my work handy. This was supposed to be for my church youth group’s newsletter in 2003:

Guy 1: Hey, check out the new cell phone! Guy 2: Cool. Guy 1: It's a game console, web browser, printer, fax machine, pager, beeper, PDA, calculator, and walkie-talkie all in one! Guy 2: Can you call people with it? Guy 1: What?

I did another one, also intended for the newsletter, that had two kids taking a test. One says to the other, “What’s the answer to the one that says ‘Name’?” What a gem, I tell you.

And are beepers and pagers the same thing? I still don’t know.

What do you do when you’re trying to play Mozart on the guitar but you fail epically? Record one note at a time and splice the whole thing together. (Via J-Walk Blog)

Oh, those news anchors: What News Anchors Do During Commercial Breaks. (Via The Presurfer)

Someone found out about every street in the world and made a list of the ten most amazing ones: Top 10 Most Amazing Streets in the World. (Via The Presurfer)

5 comments

Ah man, you and your comics. I see your sense of humor hasn’t developed much…. :) JK JK!

#1 by Andrea: Tue Mar 31, 2009 17:41 (UTC -5)

I can’t really describe my sense of humor, so maybe it still is cheesy. The random slogans sure are cheesy, anyway.

#2 by Jordon Kalilich: Tue Mar 31, 2009 23:56 (UTC -5)

I remember that comic perfectly for YGN. I still have the copies of all the newspapers lol.

#3 by kevin: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:30 (UTC -5)

My brother loves XKCD. I have an issue with it, because of its statement about not being suitable for liberal arts majors and the fact that I totally suck at math.

I think people (especially defensive QWERTY-ists) get way too wrapped up on keyboards. Who cares which layout you use, as long as you can type? I know, I tried to learn to type on QWERTY and never could. It wasn’t until I tried Dvorak that I learned to type. It, of course, makes perfect sense, as Dvorak was designed for touch typing (so learning progresses in a natural order, with common words first and reaching to rare characters later), where QWERTY was invented before touch typing (so it’s basically the exact opposite). My brother was telling me how one of his professors claim that QWERTY was designed to slow you down; being that I’m a Dvorakist (and he knows it, and supposedly told his classmates), I couldn’t tell him that that was a myth, as there were no typists to slow down back then.

#4 by Keith: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:40 (UTC -5)

I don’t think there’s any reason for people who do a considerable amount of touch-typing to keep using QWERTY. I don’t want to have to say “I told you so” to people who didn’t want to take the time to switch and then got carpal tunnel.

#5 by Jordon Kalilich: Thu Apr 02, 2009 22:31 (UTC -5)